From the desk of Fire Marshal Fred Baker
Published 10:41 am, Tuesday, November 22, 2011
As the holidays approach we all start thinking about decorating our homes for festive times and candles are usually a big part of these decorations. Candles add a warm welcoming feel to any occasion but, if not used safely, the most festive occasions can quickly be ruined by fire. Here are a few safety tips to keep safe furing the holidays:
Keep combustible decorations such as evergreens or other decorations at least 12 inches away from candles.
Make sure candles are out of reach of children and pets.
Always place candles on/in non-combustible bases.
Ensure there is nothing directly over candles.
More InformationFact box
Trim candle wicks to a quarter-inch each time before burning. Long or crooked wicks cause uneven burning and dripping.
Always keep a burning candle within sight. Extinguish all candles when leaving a room or before going to sleep.
Keep burning candles away from drafts, vents, ceiling fans or other air currents.
Make sure smoke and CO (carbon monoxide) detectors are properly operating.
For more questions regarding this, or any other fire safety issues, contact the New Canaan Fire Marshal's Office at 203-594-3030.