With rain on tap, Christmas Eve caroling safety urged
Published 2:02 pm, Tuesday, December 23, 2014
The annual Christmas Eve caroling on God's Acre will take place at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.
With forecasters expecting rainy weather with limited visibility during the ceremony, police have decided to step up traffic-control measures in conjunction with the town's Highway Department, the New Canaan Community Emergency Response Team and Fire Department personnel to ensure the event is as safe as possible.
Increased lighting, messaging and other enhanced measures will help manage both vehicular and pedestrian traffic, according to the police announcement. Motorists that are not attending the event should avoid the Park Street, Main Street, Saint John's Place and God's Acre area.
Police Chief Leon Krolikowski asked those planning to attend the ceremony to:
1. Park in the upper Park Street lots
2. Use the temporary roped off and visible pedestrian walkway from the Park Street lots exit to Saint John's Place
3. Use sidewalks whenever possible
4. Look left, right and left again before crossing the street
5. Cross the street only where directed by police or CERT personnel
6. Use crosswalks and obey traffic-control signals
7. Wear bright clothing and/or carry flashlights
8. Don't text or talk on cell phones when walking or driving
9. Make eye contact with drivers as they approach and do not assume a driver has seen you