The New Canaan Playhouse opened in September of 1923 with a showing of “Down to the Sea in Ships.”

The Playhouse is a 1923 movie theater at 89 Elm St. Originally having a single screen, it was later converted to two screens and continues today as a first-run movie theater, owned by the town, but managed by Bow Tie Cinemas. In 2011, the Playhouse was renovated, with new seats and bathroom and a display case in the left front window, which had earlier been boarded up and painted white.

“Down to the Sea in Ships” is a 1922 American silent romantic drama film about a 19th-century Massachusetts whaling family. Directed by Elmer Clifton, the film stars William Walcott, Marguerite Courtot, and Clara Bow.