Kate Regan, the woman charged in a fatal hit-and-run case in August of 2010, had her case continued to June 7 Wednesday morning. Her attorney, John Gulash, says the case remains on the trial list.

Police arrested Regan, 32, of Michigan Road, on Nov. 3, 2010, in connection with the death of Krishna Jayaraman, who was struck and subsequently killed while getting his mail on Aug. 18, 2010.

The family of Jayaraman has also filed a civil lawsuit in the amount of $2.5 million against Regan.

As reported earlier, police charged Regan with evading responsibility resulting in physical injury or death and negligent homicide with a motor vehicle.

The accident itself took place more than 18 months ago, when, at 4:41 p.m. on Aug. 18, 2010, New Canaan police found Jayaraman on the side of the road with serious injuries. After being transported to Norwalk hospital, it was reported that Jayaraman died of his injuries at Norwalk Hospital at around 6:15 p.m.

Shortly after the incident, officers determined the vehicle that struck Jayaraman was a 2008 Infiniti QX56 driven by a female New Canaan resident. Once forensic testing had been conducted on the vehicle and evidence recovered, that same evidence was sent to the State Crime Laboratory.

The official police report on the incident notes three DNA samples from the mirror assembly matched with Jayaraman. The lab results are so precise that the report states there is a one in 7 billion chance that the DNA could be linked to anyone else.

According to the affidavit, Regan headed to a wedding in Albany immediately after the accident.

The report states Regan admitted she was not aware of hitting anyone except "possibly" a mailbox as she was "changing a DVD and veered over" with her 19-month-old child in the backseat. Regan, who is currently six months pregnant, initially changed her story about the damage to her mirror, according to the report.

Before her claim about the mailbox, the affidavit states she told the police and her husband she believed someone had damaged her mirror in a parking lot in New Canaan. According to the affidavit, when her husband, Mike Regan, asked her why she lied about someone damaging the mirror, she said that she was afraid he would be furious about her hitting a mailbox.

Shortly after the accident, Regan went to a gas station to inquire about repairing the damage on her vehicle. Gas station attendants who spoke to Regan said she seemed "calm and not nervous or agitated."

The document also said her husband fully cooperated with the investigation. He stated that his wife was "extremely distraught with the realization that she may have been involved in a serious accident" in the affidavit.

pjha@bcnnew.com; 203-972-4413; www.twitter.con/pjhancnews

More Information

Fact box