The estate of Krishna Jayaraman, the 84-year-old man struck and killed in a hit-and-run accident on Aug. 18, has filed a civil lawsuit in the amount of $2.5 million against Kate Regan, the woman allegedly operating the vehicle, and her husband, Michael, according to documents filed in Stamford Superior Court on Feb. 24 and Feb. 25.

The son, also named Krishna Jayaraman, serves as the administrator of his father's estate. In the affidavit, Jayaraman describes the severity of his father's injuries after the accident.

He says that "as a result of Kate Regan hitting [his] father and leaving him for dead at the scene," he had many serious injuries including multiple blunt force trauma, multiple right-sided rib fractures, multiple abrasions and contusions, a right frontal parietal scalp laceration with traumatic depressed skull fracture among other complications "all of which injuries resulted in his death."

Police arrested Regan, 32, of Michigan Road, on Nov. 3 in connection with the death of Jayaraman. As previously reported, police charged Regan with evading responsibility resulting in physical injury or death and negligent homicide with a motor vehicle.

The accident took place more than six months ago, when, at 4:41 p.m., New Canaan police found Jayaraman on the side of the road with serious injuries. After being transported to Norwalk Hospital, it was reported that Jayaraman died of his injuries at Norwalk Hospital at around 6:15 p.m.

"Prior to his death, my father suffered great pain, suffering and emotional trauma," Jayaraman said in the report. "This event has been devastating to my entire family. My mother lost her lifetime spouse and caregiver. I have lost my father, and my children have lost their grandfather, with whom we were all very close with as he lived in the cottage on my property with my mother."

He added that his father was in "good general health" at the time of his death and that he took care of his wife, who has diabetes.

"Kate Regan knew she hit something while traveling on Oenoke Road in New Canaan on Aug. 18, 2010, but failed to stop. Instead, she lied at least three times as to how the damage to her vehicle occurred," Jayaraman stated in his report.

According to the original affidavit of the incident by the New Canaan Police Department, Regan headed to a wedding in Albany immediately after the accident.

The report states Regan admitted she was not aware of hitting anyone except "possibly" a mailbox as she was "changing a DVD and veered over" for her 19-month-old child in the backseat. Regan, who was pregnant at the time of the accident, initially changed her story about the damage to her mirror, according to the report.

Before her claim about the mailbox, the affidavit states she told the police and her husband she believed someone had damaged her mirror in a parking lot in New Canaan. According to the affidavit, when her husband asked her why she lied about someone damaging the mirror, she said that she was afraid he would be furious about her hitting a mailbox.

Shortly after the accident, Regan went to a gas station to inquire about repairing the damage on her vehicle. Gas station attendants who spoke to Regan said she seemed "calm and not nervous or agitated."

The document also said her husband fully cooperated with the investigation. He stated that his wife was "extremely distraught with the realization that she may have been involved in a serious accident" in the affidavit.

A supervised pre-trial is scheduled for Regan on April 4 as well as a hearing concerning the civil suit.

More Information

Fact box