Skender Halili, 50, of 61 Millport Ave., New Canaan, was arrested May 3 on a charge of fourth-degree sexual assault.

Police said the arrest stems from an April 10 incident, when a 52-year-old woman walked into the New Canaan Police Department on South Avenue to report that she had just been groped by a male and that he was still sitting in her car outside the building. When police walked outside, the man was already gone, according to the report.

Police said the woman was very distraught and could not give a full statement, but she eventually provided a written description of the incident.

The victim said she was having problems with her car on April 9 when Halili, who is her neighbor, offered to help her, according to the report.

The woman told police Halili did some work on her car and said he would finish the job the following morning. When he finished fixing her car at about 10 a.m. April 10, Halili said they needed to go for a test drive on the Merritt Parkway to see if the car was working properly, according to police.

During the ride, Halili began asking her personal questions, which made her feel uncomfortable, police said. At that point, the woman told police, Halili began groping the woman while she was driving, according to the report. The woman said she asked the man to stop but he did not, police said.

The victim then took exit 37 toward South Avenue and parked at the police department, the report stated.

After receiving the full statement from the victim, police contacted Halili, but he denied seeing the victim at all on April 10, according to the report. However, police said surveillance video from the police department showed a person getting out of the woman's car when she parked there April 10. When asked if that was him, Halili started making admissions little by little, but he never admitted to touching the victim in her car, according to the report.

Police said they had to use an interpreter via telephone to communicate with Halili, who they said is Albanian. The suspect said he had lied because he was scared, police said.

After an arrest warrant was approved, Halili turned himself in at about 9 a.m. May 3.

He posted $1,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in court May 12.