Building permits are required for storm damage repairs, with the exception of minor ones, such as small sections of siding, roofing or gutters, according to Brian Platz, New Canaan chief building official and director of land use.

All electrical or mechanical repairs require a permit, he said, adding that residents with questions regarding whether or not they need one should contact the Building Department at 203-594-3012.

"The permit process is a simple, over-the-counter form and the permit is automatic," Platz said. "Permits should be obtained prior to making any repairs except in the case of emergencies; there is a small fee which should be reimbursed to you by your insurance company. In addition to performing inspections for code compliance, the department also verifies licensing and insurance for contractors. In many cases the permit and inspection process will assist in insurance claims as well."

All New Canaan building inspectors carry identification and -- in most cases -- will be driving a town vehicle with identification on the door, Platz said, adding that inspectors are available for limited evening and weekend hours if residents should have scheduling issues or special needs, as well as in the case of an emergency.

More Information

Fact box

Residents with questions or concerns regarding potentially hazardous conditions are encouraged to call the Building Department. "Do not underestimate the danger of carbon monoxide," Platz said.

Platz can be reached at 203-594-3013 or