Who will pay for the Metro-North train crash?
Published 4:56 pm, Wednesday, May 22, 2013
But state officials aren't sure who will be billed in last Friday's rush-hour crash that injured more than 70 people and wrecked three M8 rail cars with price tags of $3.5 million each.
Kevin Nursick, spokesman for the DOT, said Tuesday that usually Connecticut pays 65 percent of the costs to run the commuter line in the state, with the MTA picking up the remaining 35 percent.
For capital expenses such as new commuter rail cars and bridge repairs, the DOT pays.
"I don't know if that's definitive," Nursick said when asked how the costs of the track and car repairs will be handled. "I don't know if we're in a position to definitively say who's going to bear the costs. I don't know whether we can say what the cost breakout is going to be."
Nursick said that until the National Transportation Safety Board concludes its investigation, the costs of the derailment and collision will not be known.
Usually, the service agreement with the MTA would continue the 65-35 split on costs.
"But there is always potential for things to be different. It's hard to say the unknowns would be covered under the service agreement," Nursick said.
"There isn't any certainty about what happened. And there's a potential for claims, so it's still hard to say what would be cost-shared. Details are pretty scant right now and everyone is pretty much hands-off until the investigation is done."
firstname.lastname@example.org; 860-549-4670; twitter.com/KenDixonCT; facebook.com/kendixonct.hearst; blog.ctnews.com/dixon