Real estate: A timeless home with modern amenities
Published 12:00 am, Friday, September 4, 2015
On the outside, the 250-year-old white farmhouse at Oenoke Ridge and Parade Hill roads in New Canaan appear to be untouched by time.
Its white clapboard siding and dark green shutters were given a fresh coat of paint and a sign that reads “the Ephraim Smith house” still hangs in the front.
A venerable sugar maple serves as the protector of the home, one of New Canaan’s and possibly the state’s oldest maple trees, cared for by the state’s arborist.
While it appears untouched, the classic five-bedroom Colonial has undergone several renovations melding 18th-century charm with 21st-century conveniences.
A 2007 renovation by previous owners helped to successfully merge the historical half of the house with a wing added in the 1950s while adding a professional kitchen, a home office overlooking the family room, a mudroom and a three-car garage.
Inside the 18th-century front entry door, the “parson’s parlor” sits on the left and the “family parlor” sits on the right, both with small fireplaces.
ABOUT THIS HOUSE
ADDRESS: 263 Oenoke Ridge Road
PRICE: $ 2,950,000
YEAR BUILT: 1761
SQUARE FOOTAGE: 5,168
NUMBER OF ROOMS: 11
FULL BATH: 4
HALF BATH: 1
NOTABLE FEATURES: Shoreline free form pool, winter-proof outdoor kitchen, brick terrace, original West School schoolhouse, four fireplaces, three-car attached garage, mudroom, first floor laundry room,
SCHOOLS: South Elementary, Saxe Middle School, New Canaan High School
ASSESSMENT: $ 1,696,590
As in any true Colonial home, the property features five fireplaces with three on the first floor and two on the second.
The largest of all five fireplaces is in the keeping room, an earlier version of what’s known today as the family room, because logs were always kept burning in the central fireplace.
The centuries-old hearth still warms the home during colder months, open to the family room, dining room and kitchen, with the original beehive oven perfectly intact for cooking.
An 1800s porch was enclosed to create a sunroom and the original stairway was strategically relocated to the back of the house helping to create a contemporary family wing.
Sourcing floorboards from the sides of a 150-year-old boxcar in Kentucky, previous owners sought to connect the past and present in using these antique wide plank floors throughout the first floor addition.
The professional kitchen was thoughtfully designed in keeping with the period of the home using a honed green granite from Finland closely resembling the look of soapstone but offering more durability.
The kitchen features two islands, the first measuring 4-by-5 feet with a 2-inch thick white Danby marble top used for food prep. The second island is topped with a butternut wood top with a hammered copper vessel sink, ice machine, refrigerator and freezer drawers and a microwave.
Appliances include a dual Viking wall oven, six-burner Viking range with a copper hood, Subzero refrigerator and double front apron farm sink.
A walk-in pantry offers plenty of storage and a second freezer.
Just off the kitchen, a step-down breakfast room with a skylight opens to a family room featuring exposed wooden beams sourced from Canada.
French doors open to a brick terrace with a state-of-the-art winter proof outdoor kitchen that features a Viking professional grill and refrigerator with hot and cold running water.
The property slopes down to the free form Shoreline heated pool surrounded by hydrangeas and stepping stones sourced from the property.
Further, the property opens to a pasture perfect for playing soccer or lacrosse.
The first floor also includes a well organized mudroom with built-in cubbies, a deep walk-in closet and laundry room.
A floating staircase leads to a loft-style office overlooking the family room.
The second floor of the home features two original guest bedrooms, an additional en suite guest bedroom and the master suite.
The third floor features an office, full bath and guest bedroom.
The historic gem was built around 1784 and moved to its current location in 1811.
Quite possibly one of the oldest original schoolhouses in Connecticut, the building was lovingly restored just over a decade ago and now serves as a playhouse with a powder room.
An original Dutch door opens to a hidden courtyard surrounded by flourishing perennial garden.