(skip this header)

New Canaan News

Saturday, October 25, 2014

newcanaannewsonline.com Businesses

« Back to Article

Former Outback youth director eligible for accelerated rehab

Published 1:17 pm, Wednesday, July 30, 2014
  • The Outback Teen Center's former youth director, Andrew Barer, was found Wednesday, July 30, 2014, to be eligible for accelerated rehabilitation. Barer was arrested Thursday, Feb. 27, on a breach of peace charge for an incident involving students at Saxe Middle School in New Canaan. Photo: Contributed Photo, Nelson Oliveira / New Canaan News
    The Outback Teen Center's former youth director, Andrew Barer, was found Wednesday, July 30, 2014, to be eligible for accelerated rehabilitation. Barer was arrested Thursday, Feb. 27, on a breach of peace charge for an incident involving students at Saxe Middle School in New Canaan. Photo: Contributed Photo, Nelson Oliveira

 

Larger | Smaller
Email This
Font
Page 1 of 1

Five months after police said Andrew Barer used vulgar and inappropriate language to students in the Saxe Middle School cafeteria, the former Outback Teen Center youth program director was found eligible for accelerated rehabilitation.

Barer, 52, of 8 Hayes St., Easton, was arrested Feb. 27 on a charge of second-degree breach of peace.

The defendant was in Norwalk Superior Court Wednesday morning, when his case was continued to Aug. 28. If the judge grants him accelerated rehabilitation, Barer will be placed on probation for up to two years. If the conditions of the probation are completed, the charge would be dismissed.

The case stems from a Jan. 15 incident in which police said Barer told a group of eight to 10 boys at the school cafeteria that if they didn't start attending the Outback, he would "kick their a----" and "cut off their d----."

Barer denied making such comments and said he never would threaten a child, according to the arrest warrant signed by New Canaan Police Sgt. Carol Ogrinc. He pleaded not guilty to the charge March 12.

Barer had been hired by the Outback in November as a part-time youth program director. He was terminated Jan. 17 -- one day after police started the investigation.

The warrant states that he also lifted a boy off the ground and took the contact information for several of them during the incident. Ogrinc wrote that she believes he attempted to contact at least two of the boys on their cellphones one day after the incident, according to the document.

During the investigation, the mother of one of the boys told Ogrinc that someone called her son's cellphone eight times Jan. 16, but she said no one spoke and she just heard "mumbling," the warrant states.

Barer said he never tried to call any of the students, according to the warrant.

The former Outback director is also the founder and director of the life-coaching organization Wingspan Academy, where he gives young men professional advice on their personal issues. He is a certified master, life and youth and family coach.

His attorney, Bruce Koffsky, declined to comment.

noliveira@bcnnew.com, 203-330-6582, @olivnelson