HARTFORD -- With a proposed $1.6 billion concessions packaged officially dead, Gov. Dannel P. Malloy said Friday morning that he would not re-enter negotiations with union leaders.

Following the rejection of the package by a second of the state's 15 public employee unions that killed the proposed deal, Malloy was asked at a press briefing whether he would re-enter talks with union officials.

"If it's for clarifications, yes," he said. "It's for negotiations, the answer is no."

Malloy said the collapse of the deal would mandate laying off as many as 7,500 state employees. He said Friday that -- contrary to what had been previously expected -- the layoffs would take place immediately, rather than over the course of the next two years.

Larry Dorman, spokesman for the State Employees Bargaining Coalition, said that Local 391 of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees rejected SEBAC's deal with the Malloy administration Friday morning by a vote of 955-527.

Since SEBAC rules mandate that 14 of its 15 unions and 80 percent of its members must vote to approve the deal in order to ratify it, the second "no" vote means the deal is dead.

Malloy met Friday morning with the mayors of Connecticut's five largest cities -- a group that includes Bridgeport and Stamford, along with Hartford, New Haven and Waterbury.

Stamford Mayor Michael Pavia, a Republican, told Hearst Connecticut Newspapers he was stunned that a deal with a Democratic governor would be rejected by union leaders.

"To put it mildly, I can't believe it's being shot down," he said. "Here's my question: Is there a realization of what could come? A true realization? That's the big question."

Though Malloy said Friday his goal in budget negotiations is to spare cities and towns of cuts in state funding, Bridgeport Mayor Bill Finch said if there are cuts, he would be force to implement layoffs.

Finch, deeply unhappy that the deal fell through, said he thinks union rules should be changed so that deals such as this one can be passed with approval from a lower percentage of union members.

"If the economic state of Connecticut hangs in the balance of a union rule needing 80 percent approval and 14 unions, then that rule should be changed," he said. "Eighty percent of the population in the United States of America never agrees on anything."

One union, Service Employees International Local 511, voted Thursday to oppose the givebacks. And the largest, the 15,600 member Council 4 of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees , followed this morning.

The last of Council 4's nine bargaining units to vote is composed of corrections employees who refused concessions in 2009. On Thursday the leader of one of their locals, Jon Pepe, told The Associated Press he hoped his 1,850 members vote for the deal but believed many would not.

"My members are voting, but I believe the early release of everybody's returns didn't help matters," Pepe said. "All they hear is no, no. They feel, let me vote no, too."

"I think we probably know what the results (will be)," Malloy told reporters Thursday in Hartford. "Which means that we'll proceed with what we have to do, which is exactly what I told everyone we would do all along."

A few hours later he called for the General Assembly, which wrapped up the 2011 session June 8, to reconvene next Thursday to act on a plan to balance the two-year budget passed in May without givebacks.

Observers said job cuts are the only possible move for the new Democratic governor, who for weeks has warned SEBAC's 45,000 members to share in the sacrifice needed to close a $3 billion-plus deficit or face the consequences.

"He can try to say ... `I didn't really mean it,' but as soon as he does that he becomes very vulnerable," ex-House Speaker James Amann, D-Milford, said. "He needs to be a governor, a leader, and say, `Listen, I was not kidding'."

But proceeding with layoffs does not mean the administration and union officials will not be working behind-the-scenes to salvage the concessions package. A re-do vote is possible, allowing labor leaders time to address what they allege has been a misinformation campaign directed by outside conservative groups at rank-and-file workers.