Animal control officer: Drowned raccoon example of trapping gone wrong
Updated 5:48 pm, Tuesday, August 29, 2017
NEW CANAAN — A raccoon who drowned in a New Canaan pool is the third animal to die from trapping gone wrong in town in the past month.
According to Animal Control Officer Allyson Halm, a raccoon who had its leg caught in a Conibear-brand trap fell into a pool while likely taking a drink of water and drowned from the weight of the trap.
The raccoon is the third animal Halm knows of to be accidentally caught in a trap in August. Previously, Halm assisted with two skunks who got their heads stuck while trying to get food from a rat trap. One skunk survived the encounter, but the second skunk — a baby — had to be euthanized.
While trapping remains legal, Halm said the number of incidents of faulty trapping in New Canaan is high.
“In less than two years full-time duty in New Canaan, I’ve encountered more unnecessary, inhumane trapping than I have in 12 years in Greenwich,” said Halm, referring to the town where she previously worked as an animal control officer.
In December, there were several sightings around town of a coyote with its leg caught in a trap. Trappers are supposed to check their traps frequently and shoot the animals caught in them. However, on several occasions, the trappers have neglected their traps and an animal takes off with the trap attached to them. Halm said it’s also common to see nontarget animals caught in traps meant for other nuisances, like rats.
Halm encourages residents to find more humane means of keeping wildlife off their property.
“We’re a society that wants to do less and less,” she said. “These animals have lived here for hundred of years. There are ways to avoid severe damage, but you have to make an effort.”