10 homeless after Bridgeport house fire
Updated 2:09 pm, Saturday, February 13, 2016
BRIDGEPORT - Ten people are homeless after a fire spread through a three-family house on Saturday morning.
The call for a one-alarm house fire at 40-42 Harral Ave. came in at 11:38 a.m.. The fire started in a wall on the first floor and then spread through the third-floor or the house, built in 1907.
The chief advised residents to make sure that they have working smoke alarms and batteries for them. The residents of Saturday’s blaze heard the alarm and smelled smoke and were all able to get out in time and even grab warm clothing as they left.
When firefighters arrived on the scene, they found smoke coming from the building.
Firefighters conducted a search of the house to make sure everyone got out safely.
Clarke said that cold weather can make it difficult for firefighters to go about their work — but even still, they were on the scene within three minutes and had the fire put out within 15 minutes more.
The blaze happened when the temperature was in the low 20s and the wind gusting to 36 mph.
The three-family house has an appraised value of $264,680.